Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Program Pendedahan Kerjaya Seorang Doktor (Day 2 Surgical)

Surgical Department today! Was late by 1 minute today because I went to the school before going to hospital. :P 3 of us spent some time looking for where for we should go but barged into the Operation Theater door instead. But at last found Sister Wong at the Male Surgical Ward.

She gave some briefing and let us follow the Dr Wong, Dr Suraj, Dr Tarek, Dr Kenneth and Dr Chong(houseman) round the ward. We walked from one cubicle to another. The environment in the ward is much calmer than E&T yesterday and most patients there are waiting for surgery or had done it. What the doctors did was to attend to each patient check on their condition upon referring to the previous diagnosis or reports from tests. We were quite confused with the doctors’ conversation actually but made an effort to listen anyway. (all those “terms” =.=”)

Then we went to the Female Surgical Ward. There were fewer patients there. Some with jaundice, gastritis, goitre and finally cancer. We witnessed how the surgeons told the patient that she had tumor. It was hard, you have to be diplomatic, be gentle yet firm at the same time. The patient and her family member started to cry, they keep asking, is there any hope? What if the tumor is removed? Any hope? The surgeon can only tell them, it can be removed but total remove or not, it is not guaranteed but do not give up, there is hope. Yeap, the tender loving side of a doctor. We all have to understand how big the pressure is to tell someone that he/she has cancer or cannot live any longer or things like that. But that’s how a doctor’s career is, a doctor is not a god, a doctor can only do his very best to save a person who depend on him to stay alive.

Then, we went to the Palliative Care Unit. The patients sent to this unit are those like with last stage cancer. The tubes connected are significantly less and the doctors told us this is a unit to let them relieve their pain before they “depart”. The family members of patients here should be prepared but that doesn’t mean give up hope. The doctors still do whatever they can to save the patient. We saw them; some looked ok while 1 was suffering. He was gasping for air literally.

We went to another ward and came back. The one gasping for air had passed away. Shocked. This is the first time whereby 5 minutes ago, he was still alive then the next, gone. The family members all gather around discussed about the funeral. The body was covered by white linen. Then attendant from bilik mayat came and took the body away. We looked at the doctors but they can only continue with what they are doing. Maybe, they are used to it already. As what we have been told, there are 2 things in life that is for sure: 1. Taxes. 2. Death. So, we should accept it as it is.

We also went to Intensive Care Unit (ICU). Yea, saw many complicated machines and tubes inside. The aircond broke down so it was a bit warm inside. The funny thing is, one of the patients inside use magazine to fan herself. Haha…ICU patient fanning herself with magazine, believe me, you can’t imagine how was it. The nurses tried to help her, but she insisted to DIY. But I believe she was quite ok one already, moving to normal ward soon I guess. :D

Afternoon, the doctors are busy doing their paperwork and nothing much happened in the ward. After talking to some of the patients which was really awkward because I don’t know what diseases they had, no knowledge about their diseases and some don’t even know what disease they had. So just a mild chat and I decided to go to the pantry and chat with Sister Wong. Well, I found out she is Sharon Wong’s aunt. Haha. My group mates were at somewhere else chatting with their friends. So I tried to glance through my homework but the weather was too warm and I became so sleepy…At last, I napped in the pantry. Haha… Only after my group mates came by to wake me up only I go walk around the wards again. The ward seems to stink in the afternoon but tolerate with it please.

There was also another family crying and mourning later in the afternoon. Another death case. They follow the attendant who was pushing the body to the bilik mayat while calling out the deceased’s name loudly along the corridor. Sad.

Whole afternoon of walking around the wards then chatting with candidates from O&G and orthopedic department, it’s finally 4pm. Doctor Tarek finally came back and with 3 housemen, he went to round the FMW again. I met Lynn Wei!( Or should I refer her as Dr Wong here. Hehe. ) And 5pm, go home!!!

Today, I had learnt to: communicate with patients, Life and Death.

Tomorrow: Orthopedic Department!!!

No comments: