Ok, to the main point. I was being nostalgic and went back to the section I visit almost every day before SPM, the reference and workbook section. Saw all the SPM SUCCESS books and the what KERTAS MODEL AKTUAL which successfully cheated anyone who thought it was real paper at first glance. Didnt actually flip through it, but i am 100% sure, that 90% of the contents of those books are the same as what I have last year, or should i say, 98%. :)
This time, i went to the stpm section. Curious though, before join CAL, i thought of going to STPM before. I mean, many people told me, STPM's syllabus are harder than CAL, it's free, so why not choose STPM? True, but I insisted and promise myself to NEVER touch BM academically anymore after the day i finish Kertas Bahasa Malaysia in November 2009. (sorry cikgu azmira T.T, i love you, but i just dont like the subject. haha) So, ended with CAL also.
The books of STPM are really DIFFERENT. Ok, it's the same as what we used to have during secondary school but, after studying foreign country books for 9 months now, when i get back to MALAYSIA style books, i was a bit shock? haha.
THE DIFFERENCE IS BIG:
- British/Australian reference books are in big chunk of paragraphs, finding the point is your job; Malaysian books are mostly in point forms. Easy to understand.
- Brit/Aus books really tells you in detail (from my personal perspective) of why and how about a fact; Malaysian books: THIS IS A FACT. SWALLOW IT.
- Brit/Aus books not much example; Malaysian books: Welcome to the world of examples.
- Brit/Aus books not much exercises, although there is special books for exercises; Malaysian books, after each chapter, topical exercise, past year exercise, model exercise etc. etc.....
- Brit/Aus books many coloured pictures :D; Malaysian books, mono-coloured... =.=" but we survived. So malaysians are colour blind??!?!?! haha
- Last but not least, the price. Let's not compare such obvious point.
Yes, the syllabus may be quite similar or maybe malaysia one are "deeper" but the style of education are different. Seriously, i didnt realise i had got used to such a different style of learning until today after experiencing 3 different style of teaching from 3 countries.
Well, i cant really judge for CAL now, but hey, I AM EXCITED TO EXPLORE IT!
p/s: I think the effect is quite immense, especially on my blog post. Open your eyes big big and seee.....haha