Friday, May 27, 2011

2 Days without Facebook

I always wonder, what was my life like, before facebook existed? What did I do to kill time? It's like I've totally lost all my memories of those pre-facebook/friendster/social network sites days. All I can remember was clicking away on my Asus (RIP) then Acer, on those quiet and peaceful evenings I had back home. Occasionally looking out the full-length window, staring blankly into space and sometimes at the fishes in the pond, thinking, "When was the last time this dirty filter was cleaned? Why is the water so dirty? I must clean it someday." but always ended up cleaning it like...1 year after those thoughts. And frequently also, "It's so dark here. I have to switch on the light." - Ended up not switching them on and I'll be sitting in the dark for hours, relying on the weak light rays from the lamps on fences outside. Procrastination. Pfft. As usual.

As far as I could remember, my first encounter with a computer was during kindergarten: I woke up after one of my usual afternoon naps, went to the study room and was shocked to find a big box there but dare not touch it. Cause it looked very "alien". Later, my brother unpacked it, put those big chunk of monitors and keyboards together, and thus, I was introduced, "This is a computer." Ah, a moment of enlightenment! The first game I played on computer (Before the era of internet) was some puzzles of Mickey Mouse photos. I dont know why, but I can remember this very clearly. And mom is always at the side, guiding me how to complete the freakingly easy puzzle which i found it sooooooo hard to put it together that time. And how I fumble with the "mouse" and keyboards that time.

Then, at primary 4, I remember signing up for my first email address. chriswsw92@hotmail.com. Which I have been using until few days ago, =.= I found my access to it was denied "due to some unusual activities." Tried to recover it, but failed, because the recovery code was sent to my yahoo email, which i had never even touch after signing up for it during primary 4, hence, you can't blame me for not remembering it. Sad. Until i find a way of recovering it, there goes my first email address. I'm currently using Gmail. still the same username just @gmail.com. Oh ya, now i can remember. I was playing NEOPETS. (If anyone of you still remember or played that too...) It was a super cute online game, where you can keep an alien pet, feed it, play with it and play some mini games... But i sort of forgot my password after that, so there, my pet was left to die. What a bad owner...

Then, during form 2, the whole craze about blogging started to seep in. I do not know from where. But as far as i could recall, it was when I first read a "chicken rice shop in Kuching" post by kennysia, shown by my sister. It was not a trend during that time, among my circle of acquaintances and friends. Not until form 4, everyone started blogging. It was during form 4 also, it was the peak of my "blogging career". Earned money with it, met a few celebrity bloggers and posted like 3 or 4 posts a day. But SPM totally killed my interest for blogging. During form 5, i rarely went on blogs. Hence, the sharply deteriorated number of post that year. Or I guess I just don't like people stalking/peeking into my life this way, paranoid perhaps?

Until recently, when i started to activate/deactivating facebook, on and off, i started to have this urge, this adrenaline rush, to start blogging again. Not too much to talk about still, still having that paranoid feeling of people peeking here but hell, facebook provides even more information for stalkers. Occasionally, i would look back at my previous posts and think, luckily, i recorded these events down. :) At least, when this degenerating brain of mine don't remember those details, this blog is here to help me with it. If it somehow helped you (which i dont think it did...anyway just saying), Thank God then. :) I'm just happy I blogged.

Yes, back to 2 days without Facebook. This time, I deactivated it because I was having exam. And i found i spent too much time on facebook. Distractive. Like Hell. Of course I had tried going without it for weeks, but nowadays without facebook, your life, especially YOUR SOCIAL LIFE would be in chaos. It's like whatever we chat about in our daily life, it's something from facebook. Whether the 38 stories of a friend that someone had stalked on or news, it's all there. For example, the acid splasher incidents that happened around Subang recently, the incident of a China woman who had nothing better to do and attempted to attain fame by mocking every Malaysian Chinese on Facebook (congratulation, you have managed to find a way to "Fame") and the case of a secondary school girl who got bullied her classmates by cutting her hair. All were there. On facebook. even before they are on the news. Oh ya, and also the news of Osama Bin Laden being killed, it was on twitter then facebook, before it emerged as an official news from news stations. Yeap, people all around will be talking about them and if you don't have a facebook, you will be total blur, losing out on many daily conversations, got isolated, get emo, depressed and suicide. (Oh lols, slippery slope, this is going too far.)

One day, everyone will have a Facebook account, but not everyone will have a birth certificate.

Of course, without Facebook, these 2 days, I have sort of substituted it with YouTube. Ok, i know this is bad, but I have found a lot of interesting videos on YouTube. Oh ya, actually I've been roaming around celebrity blogs too...xiaxue,kennysia,timothytiah...blah blah one links to another. Thus, rather than caging yourself in your own social circle in facebook, it's nice to, once in a while, look at what's happening around the world. BUT, I'm not telling you to quit facebook and go to youtube. People quited facebook, got off the internet sphere, and be more actively involved in reality. The world under the sun. ;) You can go for sports, talk to more people in face, travel around, do crafts..... And never complain about not having anything to do... Those who said there are simply nothing else to do without Facebook, stop being so bloody lazy, go clean your wardrobe.

Well, it's easier said than done actually. I have re-activated my FB again after 2 days. :p

3 comments:

40 said...

aunty dun kill urself even without facebook

Christine said...

what aunty aunty there!!!! =.=

I wont kill myself. Life's great without facebook. :D But just decided to make it a-bit-less-than-great by activating it.

CatMom said...

try going without using a computer for two days..it's withdrawal h3ll... that's an evil in itself :)