Saturday, March 10, 2012

Day 5 TMC Attachment

Half day for today but EQUALLY tiring. I wonder what makes hospital so energy-draining. I am drop dead tired at the end of each day. Nevertheless, each day is a priceless and fun experience.

So for today, I didn't follow Dr Lau for rounds (had the chance to, but stick around at the babies' ward instead, super chubby babies!!! :D) but went to the OT. 9 o'clock at OT 3, Dr Wong.

"Be well fed, well prepared and punctual with your scrubs on. Drink a can of coke before you come in, you don't want to faint inside, it's gonna be a long day," I was warned.

Every one there seemed to be afraid of this doctor who apparently, bear the same name as my dad, whom, many people at his working place were afraid of him too. I heard Dr Wong's strict, he should be anyway. He's a neurosurgeon. Yes, I observed a neurosurgery, live, right in front of my own pair of eyes. Thank God for the opportunity for I'm not even a med school student at this stage.

Was I scared? Erm...not really. Perhaps I'm quite numb about the idea of blood and brain juice pouring, just as I was warned again and again throughout the years. When the scalp was opened and the cranial bone lay there openly, I wasn't feeling anything unusual, just amazed. O.O 

It was a surgery to remove the cerebral tumour on the parietal and frontal lobe so here comes the hand drill and electric drill buzzing away. You can see the  powdered skull floating in the air as the blade came in contact with the bone. Yea, I know, you might be picturing a mad doctor cutting people's skull into half and leave the brain exposed like that, doing the evil laugh all the way. That was what I had in mind before. Heh. However, the piece of skull cut out was just a very small piece on top of the head. After the skull, he was going through the 3 layer meninges. :) <- I have no idea why that appeared.

 Dr Wong was really careful and delicate. The exposed area was really to the minimal and you can barely see the massive tumour from far. As he was working with the nurses through a huge canggih-looking microscope, I enjoyed the "show" on the TV. It was after all, a theatre, right? 

No photography allowed in there so here's a sub googled picture.
 It's something like this. You get the idea.
It wasn't hard to recognise a tumour but the problem with this patient was the tumour wasn't encapsulated in one big bag. It was crawling all over the place. In order to remove the whole thing out, it has to be slowly broken down with ultrasound and suck out, bit by bit, be extremely cautious not to injure any neighbouring arteries, veins and nerves. The whole process was painfully slow but this is indeed, an extremely stressful procedure, you won't want to mess the patient's life with any accident, as if any is ever allowed there.

The whole surgery lasted for about 6 hours and I really respect Dr Wong for his stamina, patience and skills. Try standing still for 6 hours. Bad enough? Try standing AND working through the microscope with tiny equipments on a person's brain. Utter madness under the mask of awesomeness. I was only there observing. After standing for 2 hours, I just grabbed a chair and sat at the side. After 3 hours, even I as an observer was TIRED and the nurses changed shift, Dr Wong was still there working. 4 hours mark, I rushed home to have lunch and sleep while he continued there. No toilet break, no meals. Standing straight and working for 6 hours. 

Neurosurgeons are supermen. 
I want to be a superwoman.

That's it for this week. Another week ahead. Can't wait.
End with... Senor by Paris Combo. Enjoy!

1 comment:

LX said...

I got dragged to scrub in for a neurosurgeon (making use of us free labour - students!) - changed my view about neurosurg because initially I had a very bad impression of them (sombong lahh etc). I really appreciated my experiences in theatre knowing I probably won't do any in the future. Hahah