Thursday, July 26, 2012

A reflection on Psalms 84

How lovely is your dwelling place,
LORD Almighty!

How great is God's temple? No, this is not a rhetoric question. Let me ask again: How great is God's temple, really? I have tried to imagine many times, based on the descriptions in Revelation 21 on the Kingdom of God, the Lord's revealed glory in its full measure, the one that shines like the precious jewels but I still could not fathom His blinding glory. Maybe for a moment I am able to do so due to the circumstance that I am writing directly under the sun, but I believe He is more than our Sun!

My soul yearns, even faints,
for the courts of the LORD;
my heart and my flesh cry out for the living God.
Even the sparrow has found a home,
and the swallow a nest for herself, 
where she may have her young-
a place near your altar,
LORD Almighty, my King and my God. 

Indeed, the longing to witness His full glory, just as the psalmist who yearns to see God's Temples is unbearable! It's like holding myself back from the ultimate suspense of the story of our God's Kingdom, yet I can't even handle the reality unfolding so impeccably in front of me right now. It's like suppressing the impulse to rush to the street and grab any passer-by, asking ever so eagerly: Do you know when is the second coming of the Lord? When?

Blessed are those who dwell in your house;
they are ever pleasing to you.
Selah
Blessed are those whose strength is in you,
whose hearts are set on pilgrimage. 

I want to draw near to God. Andre Gide once said: Man cannot discover new oceans until he has the courage to lose the sight of shore. I need to give up the shore, my comfort zone. Whenever I study God's words, I have this tendency to beat around the bush. I rather read all sorts of Christianity books and find excuses to not read the Bible itself. It's like eat supplements without taking the real foods.

As they pass through the Valley of Baca,
they make it a place of springs; 
the autumn rains also cover it with pools.

Temptations are everywhere. Do pray for me, my dear brothers and sisters, that as I journey through this valley of dryness, I will be able to transform the surroundings as well as my core of life to His likelihood. May my chains be broken and more than that, may I learn to fully understand God one day, by His grace, through His words and of the work of the Holy Spirit, that I am able to see His Kingdom's glory in its full measure.

Hear my prayer, LORD God Almighty;
listen to me, God of Jacob.

And I, from the apex of my heart, from the deepest corner of my soul, trust that the Lord will guide and empower us to reach His temple, our final destination.

They go from strength to strength,
till each appears before God in Zion.


LORD Almighty,
blessed is the one who trusts in you. 



No comments: